This professional is responsible to support the maintenance and capital improvement process for the Hospitality Group’s hotel assets. This individual has a creative vision, entrepreneurial thinking, and a breadth of knowledge of a wide range of hospitality assets and building systems. He/She are process and detail driven to obtain results that exceed expectations of our guests, hotel teams and senior management. A focus on fiscal responsibility is also expected.
He/She works collaboratively with the Senior Vice President of Operations, and Capital Asset Management Team and Regional Vice Presidents. Consistent interaction with the hotels’ engineering departments to maintain, protect and improve the properties with a focus on the company’s mission statement. This individual will assist in the development of engineering departmental policies and training activities and will share responsibility with the general managers and regional operations leaders for maintenance activities at the hotels. A strong working knowledge of all components of the group’s building assets, serving as a positive role model for the properties’ engineering teams while representing the owner’s fiduciary interests.
The selected candidate will also facilitate capital improvement projects simultaneously while working in a fast paced environment, making professional recommendations that keep guest satisfaction and owner’s interest in balance.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES: Duties will include, but are not limited to the following:
Capital Investment Responsibilities – Collaborate with the Capital Asset Department to develop and manage the annual capital maintenance budgets for assigned hotels. The ongoing process includes:
- Work directly with each hotel’s operational leadership team to develop a comprehensive detailed maintenance plan.
- Write accurate scopes of work including specifications for each project. When necessary hire and manage third party consultants to provide appropriate and guided specifications and plans. Review price quotes for the procurement of parts, services and labor, for facility-related projects, and present to senior management for approval as necessary, based on the company’s capital expense approval process.
- Collaborate with property and regional management teams, solicit and analyze competitive proposals. Provide detailed and accurate written recommendations for investments based on the individual project requirements.
- Schedule and lead project update and meetings and include all appropriate stakeholders.
- Complete comprehensive analysis of each capital project including review of contractor bids and product recommendations. Prepare recommendation for approval by Senior Management through our established policies including ROI calculations as necessary.
- Identify and rectify through established policies, potential or existing conditions relating to life safety, legal or physical deficiencies at the properties when conducting onsite visits.
- Assure that capital projects are completed on time and within budget in cooperation with the design and construction group or third parties. This function has wide ranging implications as the manager must be able to work with a variety of internal and external advisors.
- Participate in special projects that may include evaluation (due diligence) of properties for acquisitions or dispositions among other recurring and non-recurring events.
- Complete property visits and conduct update meetings with stakeholders for each asset no less than once a month; however, property needs may require additional visits depending on project schedule and volume of work. Collaborate with Regional Management and Hotel Leadership through effective communication including inclusion in correspondence and meeting attendance.
- Initiate, execute and manage purchase orders and contracts to contractors in accordance with scopes of work and established standards for each project. Maintain files for order correspondence, specifications and drawings as required. Review for accuracy.
- Consult with the Corporate Food and Beverage Director and operational management team as necessary.
- Coordinate work according to established project schedules and business demands at the hotels.
- Manage contracting and accounting process for all projects through administrative and accounting staff.
- Work collaboratively with the Hotel Performance Support Team, specifically the Director of Procurement and Cost Management, on purchasing and procurement needs that overlap into operations. Utilize purchasing programs already in place such as AHR, Avendra, and Entegera to maximize the group’s purchasing power.
- Manage all facility-related emergency capital expenses or major repair work.
Facilities Management Responsibilities - Manage proper and long-term maintenance of the hotels and assets therein through the following:
- The Facilities Manager is responsible for the long-term maintenance of the hotel and assets therein. Oversee the scheduling of maintenance and monitoring of all heating, ventilation, air conditioning, water, electric and other systems to ensure efficient operation. He/she must conduct routine walk-through of all properties, work area inspections and enforce preventative maintenance policies.
- Spearhead the Maintenance hotel teams’ commitment to Our Big Three, Standards and Service and Company Mission Statement and Values.
- Ensure completion of the PM process throughout the year. Ensure compliance with all brand programs (where applicable) and general company policies and procedures. Full implement all Company and Franchise operational policies and continually monitor compliance by the hotels’ teams. Inspect and follow through.
- Develop the Chief Engineer and engineering team. Focus clearly on the goals and actions that support the Hotel’s Mission Statement. Lead by example. Establish quarterly training for the Chief Engineers and Engineering Staff. Determine areas of improvement and implement a plan to address these areas through training and staff development.
- Work with the Human Resource Team at each hotel to enhance engineering departments:
- Hiring and Orientation
- Training and Certification
- Performance Appraisal and Communication – Work with General Managers to conduct performance evaluations for Chief Engineers and engineering staff
- Administration of Company Policies and Procedures
- Lead the Safety/Quality Team process, follow-through on strategies, training and actions. Proactively address liability and loss prevention opportunities. Ensure completion of monthly safety and security committee meetings. Respond quickly and thoroughly to loss prevention issues raised during franchise, company and insurance inspections.
- Fully implement on-property emergency preparedness training and procedures.
- Participate in special assignments as necessary.
- Review the scheduling of maintenance and monitoring of equipment through Service Pro to ensure efficient operation on quarterly basis.
- Conduct routine walk-throughs of all properties including work area inspections, identify preventative maintenance challenges and present a follow up action plan to the hotel.
- Review social media, franchise measurement and other forms of guest feedback regularly to detect negative trends in building and or renovation related issues. Utilize this feedback to guide future decisions and/or investment needs.
- Work with the Hotel Performance Support and Operational Leadership Teams to further develop the Engineering Teams through identify training needs and establish an improvement plan.
Accounting - Work closely with the Company’s Construction and Development Accounting Department on the following:
- Ensure that projects are on budget. Attend meetings as necessary with accounting on project cost and management of invoices.
- Ensure compliance with established Purchasing Procedures, including insurance and lien release procedures.
Administrative Duties - Effectively and punctually manage the following administrative duties through consistent transparent communication:
- Communicate procurement process requirements and schedules to hotel Management Teams, Capital Asset Managers and Regional Directors.
- Publish weekly tracking reports and projections as required for each hotel and specifically by project when necessary.
Product Knowledge and Training - Working in tandem with the Operations Management team, recommend relevant training opportunities and implement them, where appropriate:
- Identify self-development initiatives and training needs to enhance product knowledge, performance and leadership skills.
- Interact with Chief Engineers, General Managers and other operational management team members as required to assist them with enhancement of their knowledge.