Area Director of Catering Sales functions as the business leader of the hotels’ Catering Sales Department and manages the property's reactive and proactive catering sales efforts. Shares responsibility for achieving revenue goals, guest and associate satisfaction and the financial performance of the department. Implements the brand’s service strategy and applicable brand initiatives in all aspects of the sales process. Provides day-to-day leadership to a team of on-property Catering Sales and Conference Services Managers. Partners with key stakeholders within Area Group Sales Manager to receive and solicit leads for more in-depth qualification of the business for the property. Partners with hotel operations to sell products and services that the hotels have the ability to successfully execute. Verifies a seamless turnover from sales to operations and back to sales while consistently delivering a high level of service. Maintains accountability for verifying that the team maximizes revenue opportunities by up selling and accurately forecasting for all events.
The Area Director of Catering Sales is responsible for assisting the Director of Sales with various sales initiatives, ensuring hotel’s financial goals are met and consistent, high level of service is delivered with a focus on building long-term, value-based customer relationships that enable achievement of the property’s sales objectives. The Area Director of Catering Sales focuses on client and hotel objectives in support of Our Quality Pledge and Standards of Service. The Area Director of Catering Sales manages the property's reactive and proactive sales efforts while maintaining accountability for achieving revenue opportunities under the guidance and supervision of the Director of Sales.
The Area Director of Catering Sales reports to the Director of Sales and Marketing and will engage with Sales and Operations professionals throughout the hotel.
The Area Director of Catering Sales is responsible for, but not limited to the following duties and activities:
- Targets catering sales accounts with heavy emphasis on proactive solicitation and account saturation.
- Manages the catering sales efforts for the hotel including local and group/convention business.
- Solicits/books local catering business and develops group business.
- Develops and manages catering sales revenue and operation budgets, and provides forecasting reports.
- Works with the management team to create and implement a catering sales/marketing plan addressing revenue, customers and market.
- Develops menus that drive sales.
- Assists with selling, implementation and follow-through of catering promotions.
- Responds to incoming sales leads for the property.
- Identifies, qualifies and solicits new business to achieve personal and property’s revenue goals.
- Focuses efforts on key and target accounts with significant potential sales revenue.
- Develops and executes effective sales plans and actions.
- Maximizes revenue by selling food and beverage to groups.
- Understands the overall market; competitors’ strengths and weaknesses, economic trends, supply and demand etc. and knows how to sell against them.
- Closes the best opportunities for the property based on market conditions and property needs.
- Uses negotiating skills and creative selling abilities to close on business and negotiate contracts.
- Handles complex business with significant revenue potential as well as significant customer expectations.
- Builds and strengthens relationships with existing and new customers to enable future bookings. Activities to include sales calls, entertainment, FAM trips, trade shows, etc.
- Gains understanding of the hotel’s primary target customer and service expectations; serves the customer by understanding their business, business issues and concerns, to offer better business solution both prior to, and during the program/event.
- Interacts effectively with guests/clients, sales and operations, vendors, competitors, local community, catering team and other hotel departments in order to monitor guest satisfaction.
- Develops relationships within community to strengthen and expand customer base for sales opportunities.
- Provides excellent customer service in order to grow share of the account.
- Coordinates and deploys catering sales resources on-property to establish pull-through and sustainment of catering sales strategies and selling solutions. Develops a close working relationship with operations to execute strategies at the hotel level.
- Conducts formal pre-event meetings as required to review/communicate group needs. Ensures proper and prompt follow up on all upsell opportunities.
- Manages meeting space, room set up, food and beverage and audiovisual requirements. Delegate to Sales & Catering Manager as appropriate.
- Collaborates with all other operational departments to communicate group details via the group resume pertaining to arrival/departures, billings, special requests, etc.
- Identifies improvements to enhance the client experience.
- Maintains performance level when experiencing changes or challenges.
- Adhere to all standards, policies, and procedures and consistently maintain a professional and ethical representation within the Sales and Catering Department.
- Champions leadership development and workforce planning priorities by assessing, selecting, retaining and developing diverse, high-caliber talent that can lead the organization today and strengthen the leadership bench for the future; continues to upgrade the sales & marketing talent; works with HR to anticipate future talent needs based on business growth plans.
- Performs other duties, as assigned, to meet business needs.
- Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrates independent problem solving skills and identify process improvements needed.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office and Excel.
- Strong work ethic and professional focus; High level of integrity and discretion.
- Ability to work extended hours based on business needs, with physically demanding responsibilities such as walking, standing, carrying, and lifting throughout the extended shift. Ability to push, pull, and lift up to 20 pounds on occasional basis.