The Conference Services Manager is responsible for overseeing the client experience and ensuring consistent, high level service throughout each phase of property events. This individual ensures meetings and events have a seamless turnover from sales to service. The Conference Services Manager recognizes opportunities to maximize revenue by up-selling and offering enhancements to the event. This individual is responsible for successful execution of events and client satisfaction to ensure repeat bookings. The Conference Services Manager focuses on client and hotel objectives in support of Our Quality Pledge and Standards of Service. This position requires active participation in the sales effort with focus on market priorities under the guidance and supervision of the Director of Sales and Director of Catering. The Conference Services Manager will have direct involvement with clients and represent the sales team. The position will participate in special assignments as requested. The Conference Services Manager reports to the Director of Catering and will engage with Sales and Operations professionals throughout the hotels. Both Reservations and Sales Coordinator support this position on administrative duties that pertain to booked events.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
The Conference Services Manager is responsible for, but not limited to the following:
- Assumes responsibility for the group upon contract signature and coordinates all details as they pertain to booking links, reservations, event details, etc.
- Oversees client experience from file turnover through the post-event sales phase. Responds to and handles guest problems and complaints related to events and meetings.
- Collaborates with Director of Revenue to manage group room blocks effectively including cutoff dates, rooming lists, etc.
- Conducts formal pre-event meetings as required to review/communicate group needs. Ensures proper and prompt follow up on all upsell opportunities.
- Manages meeting space, room set up, food and beverage and audiovisual requirements. Delegate to Sales & Catering Coordinator as appropriate.
- Ensures that events progress seamlessly by following established procedures, collaborating with other team members, and ensuring detailing accuracy.
- Oversees the Banquet Event Order (BEO) detailing process and ensure BEOs are completed timely and accurately. Delegate to Sales & Catering Coordinator as appropriate.
- Create and manage daily, weekly and monthly Group Services activities such as Group Resume Meetings and distribution of BEO’s to Operating Departments.
- Create floor plans for each event to ensure banquets and clients agree prior to set up.
- Collaborates with food and beverage to communicate event details and meeting requirements for assigned groups via the Banquet Event Orders.
- Collaborates with all other operational departments to communicate group details via the group resume pertaining to arrival/departures, billings, special requests, etc.
- Greets client upon arrival and hands-off to the Operations team for the execution of details.
- Proactively identifies operational challenges associated with his/her group and determines how to best work with the property staff and client to solve these challenges and/or develop alternative solutions. Anticipate problems and barriers to hosting successful meetings and events, and make recommendations for solutions. Remain flexible and solution oriented.
- Identifies improvements to enhance the client experience. Establish and maintain rapport with clients, prior to, during and post conference, encouraging repeat business.
- Maintains performance level when experiencing changes or challenges.
- Ensures team members understand expectations and parameters for event activities
- Understands the competitive marketplace and remains informed with the industry trends, conditions, and changes.
- Adhere to all standards, policies, and procedures and consistently maintain a professional and ethical representation within the Sales and Catering Department.
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- The ability to cohesively present thoughts and ideas in a convincing and engaging manner. Connect with guests, detail events, upsell products and services, be detail oriented and have a solid working knowledge of catering and event management system
- Demonstrate excellence in communications, independent problem solving skills and identify process improvements needed.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office and Excel.
- Strong work ethic and professional focus; High level of integrity and discretion.
- Ability to work extended hours based on business needs, with physically demanding responsibilities such as walking, standing, carrying, and lifting throughout the extended shift. Ability to push, pull, and lift up to 20 pounds on occasional basis.