The Area Group Sales Manager is responsible for assisting the Director of Sales with various sales initiatives, ensuring hotel’s financial goals are met and consistent, high level of service is delivered with a focus on building long-term, value-based customer relationships that enable achievement of the property’s sales objectives. The Area Group Sales Manager focuses on client and hotel objectives in support of Our Quality Pledge and Standards of Service. The Area Group Sales manages the property's reactive and proactive sales efforts for all group segments while maintaining accountability for achieving revenue opportunities under the guidance and supervision of the Director of Sales. The Area Group Sales Manager reports to the Director of Sales and Marketing and will engage with Sales and Operations professionals throughout the hotel.
The Area Group Sales Manager is responsible for, but not limited to the following duties and activities:
- Responsible for achieving group sales room night and revenue goals by business development, account management and hotel site sales calls. Also responsible for maximizing space potential and maximizing food and beverage minimums.
- Consistently pursues up-selling opportunities to maximize revenue potential. Achieves business revenue goals by developing, building and maintaining excellent client relationships through community involvement, local visitors’ bureau, bridal organizations, charity events and cultivating client database.
- Targets group/business transient accounts, markets, or segments with heavy emphasis on proactive solicitation and account saturation within all segments.
- Responds to incoming sales leads for the property.
- Identifies, qualifies and solicits new business to achieve personal and property’s revenue goals.
- Focuses efforts on key and target accounts with significant potential sales revenue.
- Develops and executes effective sales plans and actions.
- Maximizes revenue by selling food and beverage to groups.
- Understands the overall market; competitors’ strengths and weaknesses, economic trends, supply and demand etc. and knows how to sell against them.
- Closes the best opportunities for the property based on market conditions and property needs.
- Uses negotiating skills and creative selling abilities to close on business and negotiate contracts.
- Handles complex business with significant revenue potential as well as significant customer expectations.
- Builds and strengthens relationships with existing and new customers to enable future bookings. Activities to include sales calls, entertainment, FAM trips, trade shows, etc.
- Develops relationships within community to strengthen and expand customer base for sales opportunities.
- Provides excellent customer service in order to grow share of the account. Support client satisfaction by ensuring catering service standards are met and clients’ needs are responded to in a timely manner. Ensures effective communication of client needs from catering to appropriate operational departments. Resolves clients’ complaints and concerns in courteous and friendly manner, focuses on service recovery when applicable.
- Collaborates with Director of Revenue to manage group room blocks effectively including cutoff dates, rooming lists, etc.
- Responsible for utilizing sales and catering tools/systems to accurately identify, report, forecast and communicate sales data. Ensures integrity of sales data by documenting information in Delphi on a daily basis. Utilizes sales tools, and other market intelligence.
- Conducts formal pre-event meetings as required to review/communicate group needs. Ensures proper and prompt follow up on all upsell opportunities.
- Manages meeting space, room set up, food and beverage and audio visual requirements. Delegate to Sales & Catering Manager as appropriate.
- Collaborates with all other operational departments to communicate group details via the group resume pertaining to arrival/departures, billings, special requests, etc.
- Identifies improvements to enhance the client experience.
- Maintains performance level when experiencing changes or challenges.
- Adhere to all standards, policies, and procedures and consistently maintain a professional and ethical representation within the Sales and Catering Department.
- Support the management of catering expenses to maximize hotel profitability. Follows B. F. Saul Company Hospitality Group procurement guidelines and applies good business judgment. Assists with the preparation and management of the department budget. Manages and maintains company assets to stay within budget guidelines and prolong the life of company resources.
- Promotes collaboration and positive, professional work environment. Attends all daily, weekly and/or monthly department/hotel meetings to ensure proper communication and proactive planning. Adheres to all B. F. Saul Company Hospitality Group Standard Operating Procedures.
- Performs other duties, as assigned, to meet business needs.